In TRMN, the uniform is optional, but it certainly can be fun to put it together and wear it to conventions, and other events like charity events.
I (that is, Captain Bailey) have assembled a lot of the details needed to put together the uniform, from a number of sources and leavened by my own experience. It is focused mainly on the RMN officer's service dress uniform,since that is the specific one that I bought, but it should be useful for enlisted and RMMC as well. Since I wrote this, the official uniform manual came out, so use that for authoritative information; I provide some links here.
The most basic uniform (which you can probably get for around $40, plus the cost of suitable pants if you don't already have them) is the beret with beret patch, and a "Do it With Honor!" t-shirt. You can build from there.
Items for all uniforms
- From the Bureau of Supply (BuSup), get the following.
- Shoulder patch RMN or RMMC ($5.25) (this is attached 2" below the shoulder seam on the right arm, and can be ironed on or whip-stitched on with gold thread)
- Ship patch - these are something the CO orders specially through BuSup, and supplies ot the crew (this is attached 1/2" below the shoulder seam on the left arm, and can be ironed on or whip-stitched on with gold thread)
- RMN or RMMC beret patch ($3.15)
- Rank insignia (generally $3/pair) or rating patches (varies, see below), depending on rank/rating
- Ribbons, most commonly Space Service Deployment (usually $1.05 each)
- Hypercommand star, if appropriate ($1 each)
- Order the beret (white for ship CO, green for RMMC and black for everyone else) from Glendale Parade Store, or from your favorite military supply store. The flash goes over your left eye, and should be attached a centimeter above the band. This can be by ironing or whip-stitching.
- Get a poloshirt from Queensboro. In addition to the original Royal Manticoran Navy, there are now ones for the Marines, the Army, the Grayson Space Navy, and Saganami Island Academy.
- The best choice to go with the t-shirt are black cargo pants, which can be found in many stores, such as Wal-Mart.
- Get a ribbon bar mount (0" spacing) from BuSup (they have sizes for 1, 2, 3 and 6 ribbons), a military surplus store, or Glendale Parade Store. They are specific to the number of ribbons you have earned - you will likely have at least one, the Space Service Deployment ribbon. Glendale has them in the 1, 2, or 3 ribbon size (single bar) here, or in multiple bar here, up to 32 ribbons. You should order three across for up to 12 ribbons, and if you have more than that, you can switch to four across. You can determine the correct order of ribbons by using the Ribbon Board Generator, or in the Medusa database web site where your membership information is maintained.
- Order a name plate from MyName Badges.
- Name on badge: Last name, first initial in all caps (for example, "BAILEY, T") - note that the addition of first initial was a change in September 2012
- Type: 0.625" x 2.5" MaestroBadge - Durable Metal, 5/8" x 2-1/2"
- Font: Optima
- Type of Badge: Trumpeteur Frosted
- Material Color: FrostBrass
- Extra: Name Badge - Super Grip Magnet
- Get a uniform from CosPlaySky - official uniform supplier
- RMN officers' Service Dress uniform
- RMN enlisted Service Dress uniform
- RMMC officers' Service Dress uniform
- RMMC enlisted duty uniform
- Extra: Get a "Keep Calm and Roll Pods" t-shirt from Spreadshirt. (These have been made available again to support our Charity War efforts.)
Note: there have not been official guidelines yet posted for these, but this is the general wisdom (as I understand it) for creating a duty uniform for either enlisted or officer.
- Get a black tactical coverall from (for example) Botach Tactical or Sportsman's Guide (much more economical).
- Senior Master Chief Bill Lochen has created a document in the Facebook group describing how to convert the coverall to an RMN uniform. He started with the enlisted version, and is updating it to include other versions. It is available in the Second Fleet Facebook group. The rating color is as listed at the bottom of this page.
- Put the Manticore and ship patches on the shoulders, as described for the Officer's Service Dress uniform.
- The name goes on a name tape on the left breast. There is not yet an official vendor, but NameTags4U is a possibility. (This link is directly to a name tape generator, from which I got the samples at right.)
- Enlisted: yellow with black text, with department color as border (see department list below)
- Officer: black with yellow text, with department color as border (see department list below)
RMN Officer's Service Dress Uniform
You can see a full description on the TRMN site. A visual guide to the sleeve, collar and shoulder insignia can be found on the TRMN site as well.
- Order the uniform itself from CosPlaySky.
- They ask for some measurements, but it is better to send a whole list from this link. They made a very good fit for me.
- With some finagling, you can order just the jacket, saving some money on the shirt and pants. You can get a white turtleneck and black polyester pants locally for cheaper. I paid $80 rather than $130, for just the jacket. I did need to contact their support directly rather than go through their web site, though.
- It is likely best to have them leave off the sleeve lace, and get your own (see below).
- If you don't get the shirt from CosPlaySky, get a white turtleneck, or perhaps a white mock turtleneck dickey from Hull's of Frankfort. (eBay store) - can use a special RMN discount code: ROYAL 10. Ask for Mariah if you call.. 1-800-478-4855
- Order the sleeve lace from Marlow White -
silver for Ensign,
gold for all other ranks.
They are placed on the sleeves 1" from the cuff, and 0.5" from each other.
RMN Rank Order this Rank Ensign 1/2" Silver-colored, non-metalic sleeve braid Lieutenant (j.g.) ENS Lieutenant (s.g.) LT Lieutenant Commander LCDR Commander CDR Captain (both j.g. and s.g.) CAPT For RMN Commodore and up, combine the following kits: Commodore LT (Both 1/2 inch stripes sewn together to make a 1 in stripe) and CDR Rear Admiral CAPT (Combine the four 1/2 inch stripes into two 1 inch stripes) Vice Admiral LT and CAPT (Combine the six 1/2 inch stripes into three 1 inch stripes) Admiral & Fleet Admiral CAPT and CAPT (Combine the eight 1/2 inch stripes into four 1 inch stripes) Admiral of the Fleet LT and CAPT and CAPT (Combine the ten 1/2 inch stripes into five 1 inch stripes)
- The shoulder boards included in the CosPlaySky uniform are OK, but you can do a lot better. You can order them from Eiseman-Ludmar Co..
Email Jennifer Ludmar and ask for "RED shoulderboards as used by The Royal Manticoran Navy." Include the rank and description for your rank from the list below. These are custom made and therefore final sale (and also not found on their web site).
RMN Rank Code Description Price Midshipman TRMN-MID Plain Red Shoulder Board $25.50 Ensign TRMN-O1 Red Shoulder Board with one 1/2" Silver Stripe $26.50 Lieutenant (j.g.) TRMN-O2 Red Shoulder Board with one 1/2" Gold Stripe $26.50 Lieutenant (s.g.) TRMN-O3 Red Shoulder Board with two 1/2" Gold Stripes $27.50 Lieutenant Commander TRMN-O4 Red Shoulder Board with one 1/2" Gold Stripe, one 1/4" Gold Stripe and one 1/2" Gold Stripe $28.50 Commander TRMN-O5 Red Shoulder Board with three 1/2" Gold Stripes $28.50 Captain (both j.g. and s.g.) TRMN-O6 Red Shoulder Board with four 1/2" Gold Stripes $29.50 Commodore TRMN-F1 Red Shoulder Board with one 1" Gold Stripe and three 1/2" Gold Stripes $30.50 Rear Admiral TRMN-F2 Red Shoulder Board with two 1" Gold Stripes $29.50 Vice Admiral TRMN-F3 Red Shoulder Board with three 1" Gold Stripes $31.50
RMN Enlisted Service Uniform
- Order the uniform itself from CosPlaySky.
- They ask for some measurements, but it is better to send a whole list from this link.
- The available departments and department colors are:
Department Examples Color Command/Flag (and Operations) Boatswain, Operations Specialist, Intelligence Specialist, Steward White Administrative Personnelman, Navy Counselor, Yeoman Gray Astrogation Helmsman, Plotting Specialist Blue Flight Operations Coxwain Purple Tactical (Combat Systems Group, Weapons Group) Fire Control Technician, Electronic Warfare Technician, Tracking Specialist, Missle Technician, Beam Weapons Technician, Gunner Red Communications/Data Data Systems Technician, Electronics Technician, Communications Technician Yellow/Green Engineering (Engineering Group, Environmental Group) Impeller Technician, Power Technician, Gravitics Technician, Environmental Technician, Hydroponics Technician, Damage Control Technician Orange Logistics Storekeeper, Disbursing Clerk Ship's Serviceman Brown Medical Corpsman, Sick Berth Attendant Light green
(I am mostly sure that this is correct, but it should at least be close.) Get rating insignia from BuSup. It looks like they are the same for RMN and RMMC. You'll need to order combinations based on your rating, and look at the official rank insignia page to see how they fit together.
Rating RMMC Enlisted Stripes
Bosun and RMMC Chevrons
Chevron Rocker RMMC combo
Bosun and RMMC Rocker
Senior Master Chief Petty officer
Total Cost E-1 One $3 E-2 Two $6 E-3 Three $9 E-4 One $4 E-5 Two $8 E-6 Three $12 E-7 Two One $13 E-8 Two One One $18 E-9 Two One Two $23 E-10 Two One Two One $26